How do I respond to a Case?
When a case is opened for an item you sold, you will receive an email that outlines the type of problem reported and your response will be required within 3 days.
- Click Cases on the menu to view your cases in the Resolution Center. Any open cases awaiting your response will have an Action Required status.
- Click the Respond button to respond to the case.
All relevant information regarding an open case should be discussed through the open case within the Resolution Center itself.
What are my options?
Here are the options available to you, depending on the type of case that has been opened. When responding, the buyer will be able to read all the comments you enter so be sure to maintain a high level of professionalism in your customer service.
Item not received (INR) When the item was not received, you will be asked if you shipped to the address as specified by the buyer on the invoice.
- If you click Yes: Input a valid tracking number and carrier to confirm shipment.
- If you click No: You will be asked to agree or not agree to a refund of the amount requested.
- If you agree: You have reached a resolution with the buyer and you will need to issue the refund.
- If you do not agree: You must explain why you will not issue a refund.
Significantly not as described (SNAD) When an item received by the buyer is significantly not as described (ie. there was an error in the item listing, an incorrect item was sent, the item is not the advertised size, the item was damaged, the item was defective, the item was not authentic, etc.) you will be asked agree to the buyer's requested refund.
- If you click Yes, I will provide a refund right now: you have agreed to issue the requested refund and must process the refund within 3 days.
- If you click Yes, after the item is shipped back to me: you have agreed to issue a refund once you have received the returned item.
- If you click No: you do not agree to the requested refund. You must explain what you will agree to do such as issuing a partial refund, or requiring return of the item for exchange or repair. If you require the item be returned before issuing a refund, please explain in the comments if you will be providing a return shipping label.
Your proposed resolution must be agreed upon by the buyer and the staff reviewing. If the item is determined to be significantly not as described or if the seller does not respond to the case, the seller will be billed for the return shipping label. The buyer will then be required to enter tracking into the case within 7 days and return the item to the seller, at which time a refund will be issued.
- If you click Yes, I will provide a refund right now: you have agreed to issue the requested refund. You must process the refund within 3 days.
- If you click Yes, after the item is shipped back to me: or If you click No: You will need to upload your receipt or invoice from an authorized retailer. If you don't upload the proof of purchase when selecting your decision, it will be required after a staff member has reviewed the case. If the receipt is sufficient, the case will be closed and no refund will be required. If the receipt cannot be provided or is insufficient, the seller will be billed for a return shipping label and Tophatter will issue a refund to the buyer.
In any case, Tophatter reserves the right to make the final decision on a resolution between the buyer and seller.
- The seller will be invoiced for a return shipping label where applicable.
- Review the FAQ: What if my buyer requests a Refund? to prevent cases from being opened.